O Most High, Almighty and gracious Lord,
Who exalts the humble and confounds the proud of heart,
grant us the great joy of seeing Blessed John Duns Scotus canonized.
He honoured Your Son with the most sublime praises;
he was the first to defend successfully
the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary;
he lived in heroic obedience to the Holy Father,
to the Church and to the Seraphic Order.
O Most Holy Father, God of infinite love,
hear, we beseech You, our humble prayer,
through the merits of Your Only-Begotten Son and of His Mother,
Coredemptrix and Spouse of the Holy Spirit.
- Feast of the Immaculate Conception: December 8th
- Feast of Blessed John Duns Scotus: November 8th
- Beatification of Blessed John Duns Scotus: March 20, 1993
Cardinal Burke Blesses Friary Statue of Blessed John Dun Scotus
On December 12th, 2012, His Eminence Raymond Leo Cardinal Burke blessed a newly unveiled statue of Blessed John Dun Scotus in front of the Friary Chapel at the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in La Crosse, WI.
Following the ceremony His Eminence gave an account of the Blessed’s life and the great theological contribution he made to the Church, especially in regards to the declaration of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary. To read the full text of the Cardinal’s talk please click here for the pdf.
- The Life of Blessed John Dun Scotus (EWTN)
- Bl. John Duns Scotus on AirMaria (The Cornerstone)
- Blessed Duns Scotus: Defender of the Immaculate Conception (Ignatius Press, Amazon.com)
- The Internet Guide to Bl. John Dun Scotus
- Blessed John Duns Scotus: A Treatise On God As First Principle (SQPN)